Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Butch Davis debacle at UNC

Reports are rampant that UNC is closing the deal on Butch Davis. Yesterday, there were all sorts of reports from both local and national media that a deal was done. UNC came out and said, "Not so fast, my friend." Here is what we know:

UNC has told Butch Davis that the job is his if he wants it.

Contract negotiations are ongoing.

Davis is reportedly inquiring with members of his potential staff.

Davis has reportedly told UNC that he wants the job.

So what is the hold up here? What could be taking so long in the contract building process? I have never seen a head coach's contract before, so I can't speak in depth on the details involved. All I can say is that I have no clue what could take almost two weeks to iron out. It seems to me that Davis is stalling, and UNC is letting him do so. If the powers that be at UNC think that they can just sit back and be patient here, they are sorely mistaken. Didn't they learn anything from the NC State basketball coaching search? Hell, didn't they learn from their own past searches?

I personally think that Butch Davis wants the UNC job. I think it's his number 3 or 4 choice at this point, however. I think that he covets the Alabama job, and wants to return to Miami if the opportunity arises. He knows that if he takes the UNC job, he won't be able to pursue either of those positions in the near future. He will be locked into UNC for at least 3 years, and there lies the problem. Butch is going to stall as long as UNC will let him, and I think he will use the media and UNC to make it known that they are "close" to having a deal done. Hell, he has already done that, hasn't he?

What's my point? By using the media to relay the message that a deal is close to being done, I think he's hoping to apply pressure to Alabama and Miami to make a move of their own. Both schools have been under tremendous pressure to make a coaching move. Both schools are having "down" years for their programs. Both schools have loads of tradition that Butch could restore, and be a legend doing so. In my opinion, the longer that Butch is allowed to stall, the worse it looks for UNC, and the better it looks for Butch.

Then there is the wild card, the Dallas Cowboys. Rumor has it that he really wants back into the NFL. Rumor also has it that there has been interest in some form or fashion related to Bill Parcels' future in Dallas. Could Jerry Jones sweep in and become a player in the UNC hire? Don't put it past old Leatherface to make his voice heard before it's all said and done.

So what should UNC do? They should tell Butch that the offer is on the table, and if he doesn't sign off on it within 24 hours the offer will be pulled. Plain and simple. Either have a signed contract on file, or continue your coaching search. UNC does not want to be publicly embarrased the way that NC State was (four freaking times in one search). If they don't close the deal on Davis, they need to pull a PR move (like publicly pulling the offer) to keep this from happening. If Davis now says no, with what we know at this point, it's going to be a stain on the reputation over in the mushroom grove.

It's my opinion that they should be looking further anyway, as I think Paul Johnson at Navy is the man for the job. I came to this conclusion based on conversations that I have had with UNC fans, reading about PJ's background, and looking at the other possible candidates that my feeble mind can imagine.

I want to put as much emphasis as possible into the fact that these are merely the opinions of the idiot at the keyboard. I have no background with Butch Davis, or any of the organizations mentioned. This is merely my way of getting my thoughts on the record. As a NC State fan, I want to see UNC build a competitive program in football. I recognize that it's better for NC State if UNC is "decent" and not floundering.

That's all for now. Feel free to lambaste me in the comments if you wish.

No comments: