Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cowher throws the red flag at Wolfpack Nation

Today Bill Cowher did what we all expected him to do yesterday. Cowher was asked today if he was considering the NC State job and he said the following:

"I'm very flattered to hear some of the things that have been coming out, but I'm not a candidate," Cowher said. "I have a job here and my focus really is on this job right here, so you can take me off the list." "You can take me off the list," Cowher said of the N.C. State job. "I am flattered. It's a super program and I'm sure they'll get a very qualified coach that's going to walk into a good situation."

But Bill did say something else of interest:

"I'm the coach here -- as much as that may disappoint some people -- but I am the coach here and I want to win these last five games," Cowher said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to do that. I've been here for a while and I like it. It's a good job. I don't like the way we are right now and I'm going to do everything in our power to finish this thing up strong."

What if Bill Cowher somehow was fired? Would that change his outlook on coaching in the college ranks? When asked if would consider doing so in the future he said the following:

"I don't know. I don't look that far down the road, I really don't," he said. "I guess those are times when you get in that reflective mode. The only thing I'm reflecting on now is that feeling we had after last Sunday's game and trying to rectify that. That's where the focus is at."

So now the real search looks like it will begin. Chuck Neinas and Co. will hit the ground running, and I guess the ESPN report that Norm Chow and David Cutcliffe have not been contacted will only be true for a really short time.

While this news from Cowher was expected, I can't help but feel some disappointment at the news. Partly because of how awesome it would have been, partly because I wanted to use this nice gem as my lead-in picture:

No comments: