Saturday, November 18, 2006

UNC 23 - NC State 9 - Updated


I think someone just turned up the heat on Amato. More to come...

I'm not going to break down the game, as our friends over at Red & White have taken care of that for us. What I will offer is my opinion on where this leaves us.

Going into this season I knew that we would be bad, so I am not going to jump all over Amato for the 3 - 8 record, which is actualy 2 - 8 in my eyes as a Div-IAA team should not count. What I will jump all over him for is the lack of progress this team has made over the year. There is zero momentum in recruiting, and the best player on the team (Andre Brown) is basically getting benched for allegedly requesting a transfer. The state of State is getting to be quite pathetic, and I do not think we can sit around and watch it get worse.

Thus I am officially pulling my endorsement of Chuck Amato as head coach of the Wolfpack. Chuck is a good man who loves his University with all of his heart. I do not think that he will be fired (I could easily be proven wrong with a loss next weekend) but I do think he should resign. Amato is a great defensive coordinator, and I do not think he will have too much trouble getting a new gig doing just that.

I am not calling for Chuck Amato to be fired. I repeat, I am not calling for Chuck Amato to be fired. I am calling for Chuck Amato to resign. There is a huge difference, if it is his decision. If he is asked to resign, it is the same as being fired. A loss to ECU next weekend, however, and I will quickly change my tune.

No comments: